13 Green Ideas at Staying Cool
Tuesday November 20, 2018
Did you know that we are holders of a silver award from Green Tourism and working towards gold? Here are thirteen ways we make sure that the most stylish serviced apartments Birmingham has to offer are also environmentally sound:
13 Green Ideas at Staying Cool
- Our sofas are built using wood from a sustainable source by Naughtone, an environmentally-friendly company based in Harrogate. We style them with cushions made by the brilliant Heather Linnitt at Eclectic Chair - a demon upholsterer turned furniture designer based in Manchester.
2. We mix mid-century furniture from the fifties, sixties and seventies with specially commissioned pieces such as the sofas above. We salvage items and restore them to their former glory. For instance, many of our dining chairs are upcycled sixties originals.
3. In their apartments, guests find environmentally-friendly cleaning products such as Ecover washing up liquid (in the new even more recyclable bottle), washing machine tablets, dishwasher tablets plus ‘green’ recycled toilet rolls.
4. We provide locally sourced organic (or free range) store cupboard ingredients that are also Fairtrade, such as hot choc and sugar.
5. Guests enjoy hand-blended aromatherapy toiletries products, which are free of SLS’s and parabens (and vegan friendly). The large bottles are biodegradable and recyclable. We don’t provide products in tiny plastic tubes and bottles favoured by most hotels as they cause massive amounts of waste.
6. We ask guests to place unused pillows and towels in specific spots, so that our housekeepers know that they are fresh and don’t need to be laundered.
7. Each serviced apartment gets its own freshly roasted pack of coffee ground in Birmingham, ensuring it is fresh and waste is kept to a minimum
8. We now provide VegWare eco-friendly cups for guests to use if they want to drink their coffee on the run.
9. We invested in a high-tech cleaning system (nicknamed ‘miracle water’) which uses electrolyzed water to clean. it has virtually wiped out the need for chemical products to be used in our apartments.
10. We pop a pint of fresh milk into our guest’s fridges before they arrive: we loathe the waste involved with the tiny plastic UHT milk pots most hotels rely on. We then return the milk cartons via our milk supplier to the dairy for recycling. That’s around 100 cartons being re-used every week!
11. We upgraded our curtains and - as it takes a lot of material to cover our floor-to-ceiling windows - we were left with a tonne of old sets. Rather than let the old material go to landfill, we’ve had it reworked into handmade ‘bags for life’ by Morsbags.org to be given away to guests.
12. Asana, our handy communications tool, saves the need to keep paper files on site as everything is uploaded and stored. We’ve also developed a highly-informative app for guests in order to reduce the need for printouts. Where we do have to use paper we always buy recycled stock and then we recycle it again after use.
13. We have a Green Champion (currently the lovely Danny Purewall - on the left below) who is tasked with keeping us focused on all of the above.