2017: A Great Year for Staying Cool
Thursday December 21, 2017
We thought we’d take a few minutes to look back on 2017 as the year comes to a close. We’ve welcomed over 4,000 guests this year and positive online reviews made us the top place to stay in Birmingham on TripAdvisor, CTrip and ReviewPro throughout 2017. This was for the third consecutive year, which is wonderful.
From a media angle, we were especially delighted that The Telegraph renewed our2010 review on their site and gave us 8/10 once more.We also received industry awards this year including:
- 5* and 4* Gold Awards from Visit England
- The Serviced Apartment Marketing Award from our industry body The ASAP (Association of Serviced Apartment Providers
- Highly commended by the ASAP for Investment In People
- Silver Award from the Green Tourism scheme
- Our MD, Tracey Stephenson, reached the IoD (Institute of Directors) Director of the Year finals in the West Midlands.
We work continuously on perfecting our offering for guests.
- We’re beta-testing a Staying Cool app, which gives you easy access to useful information before and during your stay.
- We’ve added retro popcorn makers to our complimentary family package, Cool for Kids.
- We renewed our partnership with Gastro Card so that guests can save on eating out
- We added Independent Birmingham cards to key fobs to encourage guests to support fellow independent businesses.
An enhanced concierge service was also added as an option for guests travelling from abroad and wel launched a new menu for Cooking Cool – our long-standing DIY dinner offering - with menus developed by Alex Claridge of our dining partner The Wilderness.
The Happiness Index
We like to surprise our guests. Our team have a budget for guest treats, which they dip into during the year – we mark all of the major celebrations and also give individual gifts to guests. 2017’s treats included Pancake Day, Random Acts of Kindness Day, red roses for Valentines, Lush bath bombs for International Women’s Day and chocolate cake for guests on our 9th birthday. The Staying Cool guest relations team also organised an entire treat weekend for the first time where guests picked a prize out on arrival ranging from gourmet chocolates to a free stay.
Staying Cool has a strong company ethos and we supported the arts and charities in Birmingham throughout the year. Our MD is now a trustee at Birmingham Museums while our General Manager provided mentoring services for young professionals through Birmingham Futures. During 2017, we supported 20 charities such as Crisis at Christmas, Marie Curie and Lovebrum.
In the arts arena, the Verve Poetry Festival, the CBSO, Supersonic Festival, Orchestra of the Swan, the Cecil Aronowitz Festival at Birmingham Conservatoire and Flatpack Film Festival were among the companies and events given our support. Many of our guests come from the creative sector, so it is great to be able to support cultural events.
We are looking forward to another successful year. 2017 has been a very positive year for us. The serviced apartment industry is still growing well. Our new development in Manchester is hugely exciting, we’ve got a great team and we are going into 2018 on a real high.