Seven tips to make your business travels healthier
Travelling for work may make you the envy of your friends and colleagues, but being away from home can be tough on your body. At Staying Cool, we’ve hosted thousands of guests at our business hotel in Birmingham over the years and here are some of our top tips for working hard yet staying in shape:
1) Get the balance right
If you’re away for just one night a year then we insist that you make the most of it and just have lots of fun! But if you work away from home regularly you might want to give some thought to how to stay in shape.
2) Planning is vital
Take light exercise gear with you on every trip and try to schedule some exercise into your days. Business trips can be hectic, but try to make exercise a priority. Walk to your work or meeting place if you can. Taking some time out will do your body and your mind good.
3) Stay in your groove
- Runner? Get online and find out where the best runs are close to your accommodation. Runkeeper is simple to use and global
- Missing classes? There are some excellent free workouts online. All you need is good Wi-Fi and you’re off. For this routine, all you need to get fit is a pair of chairs
- Fitness phobic? There are free workouts available for beginners on the NHS Fitness Studio. Work on your fitness while you are away from the surprised looks of your family and friends. You’ll show them!
- Stay Mindful. Dont miss your daily dose of YOU time. To assist we can recommend Breathworks accredited mindfulness teacher and IYN accredited yoga instructor Bridget, a regular guest with us at Rotunda and founder of Mindful Manchester. Offering classes, courses and one to one sessions, Mindful Manchester offers a great way to unwind after a busy day.
4) Embrace your inner squirrel
Business travel can play havoc with your eating habits and you may be surrounded by tempting biscuits and pastries at meetings. When you are travelling on business make sure that you always have a store of low-GI, nutritious snacks – such as nuts or seeds – on you. It could be a conversation opener at meetings too.
5) Get out!
Get as much fresh air as you can. Rent a bike (you can rent Bromptons close to us at Moor Street station) or get walking and find local beauty spots and green spaces. After a hard day’s work, it will do your body good and clear your mind.
6) Cooking is cool
Ordering room service or eating restaurant food can be tough on the waistline and arteries. If you work away regularly, checking into a serviced apartment might be good for your health: unlike other business hotels in Birmingham, you’ll have a kitchen and the opportunity to prepare fresh, simple food. A ready meal on the healthy side could be a good compromise (there are five supermarkets within a five-minute walk from us). We’ve prepared a Dining In section as part of our Guest Guide that we hope you’ll find useful.
7) Breakfast like a king, but not King Henry VIII…
A full English breakfast is a thing of wonder, but it’s not always the wisest choice as far as your health is concerned. Why not pick a business hotel in Birmingham where you can choose a healthier start to the day without bacon smells wafting at you from the breakfast buffet? At our Rotunda aparthotel in Birmingham, for example, we provide guests with locally sourced granola, jumbo oats, fresh milk and squeezing oranges plus grapefruit.
So there you go. Seven healthy travel tips. Do you have any to share? Let us know your top tips on how you stay healthy when away from home. Want to learn more? Visit our sustainability matters directory.
SPECIAL OFFER: If you are planning a work trip and need a business hotel in Birmingham, why not give our stylish serviced apartments at Rotunda a try? Your body will thank you.Use booking code FIRSTSTAY to receive 10% off your first stay.